This privacy notice outlines how we gather, use and disseminate information within the To Grow An Orchid organisation. For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 2018, the data controller is To Grow An Orchid.
Please read the following carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
If you have any queries about this Privacy Notice please do contact us at email@example.com
Why we collect personal information and what we do with it
We collect information purely for the purpose of helping our work towards our mission. Specifically, To Grow An Orchid processes personal information in order to:
- administer donations (including keeping records of our supporters’ relationships with us)
- administer inquiries including volunteering and job applications
- contact people with updates on our work
- contact people about opportunities to support our work
- help us make our websites work better
- show us how people are using our website, so that we can keep improving it
- understand why people support our work, so we can better meet their needs and find
- more people like them
- analyse it alongside publicly available information to carry out due diligence on our
- donors and to help tailor our communications and products.
In any case, we will only process personal information when at least one of the following conditions applies (as defined by the GDPR):
- You have given your express permission for us to do so (in that way and for that reason)
- It is necessary in order to deliver contracted goods and services
- We have a legal obligation
- It is of vital interest (it might save a person’s life)
- There is a legitimate interest (when it is not obviously annoying or intrusive and would reasonably be expected)
- We may contact you by email, post or telephone in line with how you have agreed to be contacted.
How we collect personal information
We collect information in the following ways:
- When you interact with us
such as when you make a donation, complete a form or quiz, attend an event or inquire about volunteering.
- When you interact with third parties
such as when you make a donation through a third-party website e.g. BT My Donate, and give your permission for your information to be shared with us
- Social media
if you engage with us on social media you might give us permission to process information from those accounts. The data we are given access to by social media services will vary but will always be in line with the Terms of that service. We will not be able to access your private messages, photos, etc.
- When you visit our websites
- From other information that is available to the public
to help us tailor our communications, we may use information from publicly available sources such as Companies House or information published in the media.
What personal information we process
We process any personal information you actively provide to us, including from donations, enquiries, quizzes and forms. Website usage information is collected using cookies.
Personal information we process includes:
- postal addresses
- email addresses
- telephone/mobile numbers
- contact preferences
- taxpayer status (to understand if we can claim Gift Aid)
- gender (where this is appropriate, such as when you register for a running event)
- information about how people support us
- correspondence and details from interactions with our staff
- information that is publicly available
- IP addresses and web browsers (and versions) used
- Information on how people use our websites, using cookies and page tagging, to help us improve the websites and our services
- Any other personal information provided to us
How long we keep your information
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as it is lawful and necessary to do so. This is so that we can provide the services or information you have requested, administer your relationship with us, ensure we don’t communicate with you if you’ve asked us not to and comply with the law.
Sharing data with Third Parties
We will not sell or swap your information with any other organisation. We may share your information with trusted partners, agents or service providers to help us with our work or to help us better understand our supporters. These partners will only use your information under our instruction and will not use it for their own purposes.